Often it is the first time the kids have had an au pair and so their knowledge of a second language is limited. Don’t give up and revert to Spanish, here are some tips to break the ice and get them introduced to you and your funny language!!
1. Music – kids love music. Start with a game like musical statues, or dance with a balloon (pair the kids up and they have to dance together keeping their balloon wedged between their tummies and off the ground). Try teaching them a song. Ones with actions work best. My favourite is old MacDonald
2. Get cooking – everyone loves food. So why not introduce the kids to your mother’s favourite cookie recipe, or cupcakes.
3. Gymnastics – depending on the age, you can show the kids how to do a rolly polly, support them doing a handstand or turn that handstand into a wheelbarrow race!
4. Make dough – easy peasey all you need is flour, salt and water. Create your shapes (mermaids, action man, turtles have been favourites in the past), bake them for 30 mins and then paint
5. Stuck in the mud – an old favourite but always popular. Gets the kids running around and breaks down any shy barriers